Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Low-Carb Products (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Cola w/sucralose (splenda) (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=117201)

danicarber Tue, Jun-24-03 20:29

Diet cola with sucralose

Hi, I found a website that sells soda made with sucralose, but I have not tried it yet. It's www.cheerwine.com
Their soda is $12 for a case of 24 cans.
If anyone knows of any other sodas made w/ splenda besides
RC and diet rite I would love to hear about it.
Thanks!!

Miyh Wed, Jun-25-03 00:28

Try Hansen's soda. My local Von's has two flavors, Tangerine Lime, which I like; and Cherry, which is too sweet for me.

nicksmom Wed, Jun-25-03 05:15

Thanks, Miyh! I wonder if Hansen's makes a cola? Have to ck that out. I have heard fellow LCers mention Cheerwine but I have not seen it down South. :confused:

IslandGirl Wed, Jun-25-03 12:16

Quote:
Originally posted by JamesShado
Have you ever heard of xs energy drink? it has no carbs no sugar and only 8 calories, and has tons of b vitamins

Check the Energy Drinks posts here in the Product Forum, "stuck" right at the top for quick and easy access. I think there's some reviews in there about XS.

IslandGirl Wed, Jun-25-03 12:20

Quote:
Originally posted by bacon
I am just not sold on the aspartame thing. ... It has been repeatedly researched, and from everything i read, everything found it safe. Most of the fears came from a study in the early 90's that was inconclusive. that led to tons of other tests and they all found it safe. It is not linked to any long term things either as far as i know (I am not an expert, just very research oriented by nature). anyway, i dont think it is everything everyone makes it out to be. IMHO, if you think it is giving you headaches or whatever, dont drink them. me, i like a diet soda every once in a while....... but what do i know :daze:

THEY in most cases were the manufacturers of the product. I'm no big conspiracy theorist BUT I, too, am research-oriented and one big thing in scientific method is discovered bias or conflict of interest and how it can (and does) skew results or interpretations.

The one thing I do know for a fact is that aspartame has the single largest volume of complaints (actual symptoms reported about it) for one product in the history of the FDA.

And that's verifiable.

bacon Wed, Jun-25-03 17:26

You all make some good points. I just feel like it has really been blown out of proportion.... kind of an urban myth...... actually, if you check out snopes.com and do a search for aspartame, it disproves most misconseptions about it..... but, if you dont trust it, that is fine. I just think it is kind of interesting

timco Wed, Jun-25-03 23:46

Safe or not safe, let us not lose sight of the real issue here: it tastes like crap!

bonadl Thu, Jun-26-03 12:18

Adirondack Soda - Waist Watchers - Made with Splenda

For anyone who lives in the northeast, Adirondack Beverages has a line of diet soda called "waist watchers". They have several varieties of splenda sweetened diet soda, but they are caffiene free.

http://www.waist-watcher.com/

Good luck to everyone!

amtuamor22 Thu, Jun-26-03 14:54

Quote:
Originally posted by timco
Thank you for your replies. I was looking for something specifically WITH CAFFEINE, so I guess Diet RC is it. The only problem will be finding a place that sells it.

Diet RC is excellent. :yum: It is an extremely hard drink to find though. I have to drive about 40 miles across the bay to this Low Carb superstore to get it, and they are expensive. I have asked local retailers (Safeway and Albertsons) to carry it. So far nothing though. :thdown:

freckles Sat, Jun-28-03 14:48

Do you have a Wal-Mart? Our local Wal-Marts sells Diet RC in 2 liters and 12 pk cans. I think the prices are .89 and 2.50 respectively. I prefer the Diet Rite since it doesn't have caffiene, but sure wish I could find some place that sells the different flavors!

amtuamor22 Sat, Jun-28-03 17:35

Thanks Freckles, I do have a Wal Mart nearby. I'll check it out.

cc48510 Sat, Jun-28-03 21:19

Clover Valley Diet Cola...It is sold at Dollar General (or one of those other Dollar stores). Its cheaper than Pepsi/Coke, is made with Sucralose and contains Caffeine.

As for the Aspartame issue...you were probably reading the bullshit put out by NutraSweet's PR people. It basically says "Aspartame is one of the most tested..." That same explanation (with an occassional change) is on the website of every company that uses Aspartame. The FDA even repeats it.

While, it is true that Aspartame is one of the most tested products, it wasn't with good results. We are not talking about just a few studies in the 90s...Of the studies into Aspartame, then only ones (with one exception) that found no problem with Aspartame were those funded by NutraSweet. The one exception was a study funded by the FDA. EVERY independent study into Aspartame has found AT LEAST ONE health problem.

Let's start from the beginning. Aspartame was an ulcer drug being developed by Searle. One of the scientists licked his fingers (this seems to be the standard way Artificial Sweeteners are discovered) and found it tasted sweet. They immediately realized they could make more money selling it to dieters than they could selling it to ulcer patients.

There many tests of Aspartame. In an early one, monkeys were fed Aspartame. All, but one of them had seizures that stopped when they stopped using Aspartame. The other monkey died. A number of other studies showed problems with it. These studies were covered up. When Aspartame came up for approval...the FDA's own scientists recomended it not be approved. They were overruled by a bureaucrat and Aspartame was approved.

That bureaucrat, and several others took high paying jobs with Searle (now Monsanto). The US Attorney for their district refused to prosecute them for covering up studies, etc...As soon as the statute of limitations ran out, he went to work as a lawyer for Searle/Monsanto. Can you say Conflict of Interest, Bribery, Fraud, Graft, Corruption ??? I can.

Since then, many studies have shown problems with Aspartame, 10 THOUSAND consumer complaints were lodged (before the FDA quit taking new complaints), and a handfull of people died from using Aspartame. Aspartame had more consumer complaints (about health problems) than ANY OTHER food additive. By comparison, the much maligned Saccharin, had complaints in the SINGLE digits...and BTW never killed anyone, unlike Aspartame.

To understand the problem...you must know what Aspartame is. Aspartame is Phenylalinine and Aspartic Acid bonded with Methanol. Phenylalinine is safe except for those who have PKU. Aspartic Acid is safe in the small amounts found in nature. In excessive amounts, Aspartic Acid can cause brain damage and tumors. Methanol (Wood Alcohol) as any skid row drunk or moonshiner can tell you is the toxic substance (in bad moonshine) that causes blindness and even death.

Methanol breaks down in the body into Fermaldehyde (Embalming Fluid) and Formic Acid (Red Ant Poison) which attack the body's tissues causing headaches, blindness, and if consumed in enough quantity, even DEATH. Methanol is not safe for anyone, especially not for those who are on a diet. As NutraSweet will tell you, Methanol occurs in juice and Alcohol. While this is true...it is also misleading. The amount in Juice and Alcohol is very low compared to the amount in a Diet Coke.

In addition, natural substances containing Methanol, also contain Ethanol which will block the effects of small amounts of Methanol (such as found in nature). A 2-Liter bottle of Diet Coke has more Methanol than is generally reconized as acceptable for human consumption. Remember, just because there is an acceptable level, doesn't mean its safe...After all, there are acceptable levels of arsenic, cyanide, mercury, lead, and radiation...but you wouldn't want to sit in a Nuclear reactor with lead paint, eating mercury tainted fish.

One diet cola may not hurt you...But, if you eat alot of diet/sf products, it is possible to consume a LETHAL amount of Aspartame. A few people are DEAD becuase they consumed too much Aspartame.

timco Sun, Jun-29-03 07:11

Well done, cc48510.

Nancy LC Mon, Jun-30-03 11:54

Quote:
I am just not sold on the aspartame thing. I drink diet drinks all the time (not all the time, but you know ;-) )..... anyway, when i started doing the atkins diet, i obviously read about aspartame. by my nature, i am skeptical of everything, so i looked into it. It has been repeatedly researched, and from everything i read, everything found it safe. Most of the fears came from a study in the early 90's that was inconclusive. that led to tons of other tests and they all found it safe. It is not linked to any long term things either as far as i know (I am not an expert, just very research oriented by nature). anyway, i dont think it is everything everyone makes it out to be. IMHO, if you think it is giving you headaches or whatever, dont drink them. me, i like a diet soda every once in a while....... but what do i know

I'm with you. Everything I've heard from reputable studies, not the scary hoax email people send each other, is that aspartame is safe for anyone not a phenol... whatever they are that have a certain amino acid.

However, having said that, I know some people just don't like the taste of Aspartame, my sister swears it has an after-taste she doesn't like. I wish everyone would switch over to Sucralose.

Nickkicole Mon, Jun-30-03 22:05

Can you buy DietRite at the Grocery store?