Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   How I broke a year long stall and lost 8 lbs in a month. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=109835)

Alina Sun, Jun-01-03 11:41

Congratulations, Robert!
No miracles here, just hard work paying off!

All the best, take care!

Alina

fine Mon, Jun-02-03 10:07

Well done Robert
You have so inspired me - I have stalled now for simply ages - before Christmas and like you kept coasting along, thinking that someday now I may lose a pound and more importantly keep it off. I looked on the web and came up with this website http://www.lowcarb.org/stillman.html
so you have anything on that for brekkie and then for lunch and so on...?
I will try it out, for your 8lbs that you lost is enough for me to try anything.
Again well done you!
Fi
x

RCFletcher Mon, Jun-02-03 13:45

Hi fine,

Try it if you like - but why not make it part of your own back to basics challenge. Four days on Stillmans then back to Atkins on strict induction for a month. That's what I'm doing now.

Stillmans is really boring. I ate a lot of poached eggs! 3 for breakfast and then 2 mashed up with tuna for lunch and lump of boiled meat for dinner. I ate a whole sugar free jelly every day - it's all that kept me sane!

I don't advise Stillmans for more than 4 days. I think the starvation mode thing might kick in and damage your metabolism - anyway it's really unhealthy - 0 fibre which funnily enough gave me the runs :( .

Good luck if you try it - keep me informed.

I fly back to the UK on the 25th by the way - I'm counting the days.

Best wishes,

Robert :wave:

cre8tivgrl Mon, Jun-02-03 14:10

Congrats Robert!!

:thup:

fine Tue, Jun-03-03 09:39

Thanks Robert
I shall do it for the 4 days and the atkins induction - not looking forward to the trots, but no gain without some pain or whatever the saying is...
I'll keep you posted about progress, mind you I'm sure I'll keep the world posted if I lose something :D
Were you on contract then in Belarus? and what part of the UK are you coming home to?
Fi

RCFletcher Tue, Jun-03-03 13:42

I was/am working as Academic Principal of a large language school here. Now I'm going to work In Newcastle-upon-Tyne as a teacher trainer within the same group of schools.

Good luck with your own back to basics challenge.
Robert

NURSEGAL Tue, Jun-03-03 21:27

well it works!!!!

ive been doing the stillmans for 2 days now, (2 more to go) and i am down 8 of the 10 lbs that came back on, dont really care if it was water or dust, seeing the scale going up is damaging to the sole when u know u are doing lc'in, now that i ve done this stillmans i think i sort of know the problem with me and atkins, i was doing too much of the dessert thing, whipping cream with this, heavy cream with that, so i am gonna go back on the induction again, and really be more vigilant, ive bought a food scale so i plan on measuring every morsel, i know i dont really have to but certain foods have carbs, even minimally which really do accumulate over all, then at least i will have a list and can then organize my meals to be truly low carb!

THANKS TO RCFLETCHER for being honest and an inspiration! i d probably be up 15 now if it were for his directions and his candidness.

wordlady Wed, Jun-04-03 04:18

I have a question...maybe I should see if there is a Stillmans section and take it over there, but here goes anyway.

The lean meats or other, do you put mayo in there, or butter? And the jelly...you COULD eat other things? I mean, if you can eat jelly, can you eat sugar free jello too?

These last ten NEVER want to come off. I've upped my workout, continued being strict, and now I'm thinking of 3 days on that. If I can have fish/meat with sauces, it'd be easier.

abbey Wed, Jun-04-03 05:48

Quote:
Originally posted by wordlady

The lean meats or other, do you put mayo in there, or butter? And the jelly...you COULD eat other things? I mean, if you can eat jelly, can you eat sugar free jello too?

Stillmans doen't allow added fat. From memory you are allowed to have ketchup and other sauces in moderation though.

The jelly refered to IS sugarfree jello. It's just a regional dialect thing I thnk :)

Skim cottage cheese is allowed as well.

Good luck if you do decide to do it :)

ouch Wed, Jun-04-03 07:13

speaking as someone who has been stalled for four months, with no change, it's quite refreshing to read this post.

I'm thinking maybe I should look into this.

Thanks a bunch Robert...for a tiny bit of hope!

:)
O

RCFletcher Wed, Jun-04-03 08:13

Any thanks or praise should go to Karen, Rosebud, Doreen and the others who came up with the idea of the 'back to basics' challenge. I just jumped on the bandwagon!

If you are American you can eat sugar free jello (this is a language thing - we brits call it jelly - and what you call jelly we call jam!!! :daze: ). I found some fat free, sugar free yoghurt too.

You cannot eat fats on Stillmans. It is low carb, low fat. So no mayo unless it is fat free and sugar free (does it exist?). Also no butter of course.

Skim cottage cheese is allowed but only because it is low fat. You can also eat eggs - bolied or poached only.

Good luck, but don't stay on it for longer than 4 days, then back to strict induction on your chosen plan.

Robert

athomas Thu, Jun-05-03 11:48

I got on Stillman's May 18th 18 days ago and I'm down 16 pounds - water and meat however I don't worry about using oil or butter on my meat :)

BrewWa Thu, Jun-05-03 15:44

Good Job Robert!!

I know you were in a long stall. I admire your determination and am so happy for you!

Keep us posted on further developments.

Cheers!

BrewWa

RCFletcher Fri, Jun-06-03 00:04

Thanks for the congratulations everyone.

Hi athomas,

Congratulations on your spectacular weight loss! Don't you think it might be an idea to go onto a different plan - like Atkins induction for a week or two to give your body a break? I hope you are taking vitamins. You won't get much vitamin C on Stillmans. Don't forget you can eat eggs and fish on Stillmans too.
Robert

mamasita Fri, Jun-06-03 00:26

Great!!!!! Robert....
Great job!!!! Breaking a stall is a hard thing to do, and very inspiring for others!!!! I soo much identified with the first thread you wrote!!!!
Keep going, you're on a good path!!!
Are you working out at all?
Congrats!!!
:wave:
Mamasita