Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Stallers in order of their power (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=106760)

gracecame Wed, May-21-03 00:32

I realize we are talking about temp stalls. SALT is huge for me but the number #1 enemy is......

DRUMROLL PLEASE.............. :nono:

MSG..........I avoid it like the plague which means I have to avoid SOoooooooo many processed foods!

Angelmommy Wed, May-21-03 00:58

Quote:
[i]Our bodies have to adjust to weight loss and they don't like it, so they try and maintain a level weight for as long as they can before letting go of more, especially the closer you are to goal. A true stall is when you don't lose any weight (or lose and gain the same couple of pounds) for SIX WEEKS OR MORE. Anything less is just, well, our body being stubborn. The first time I did Atkins, I would not lose for three weeks or so, than WOOSH, and five pounds would be gone. This happened over and over again until I reached goal (about six months for me). ~Shelly [/B]

I do agree with you Shelley. Makes perfect sense to me ! Why do our bodies love holding on to that fat....lol? That should make us all the more determined to show our bodies who's boss and stick with it !!! :mad:

My Mom always says you didnt gain it in a day and your not gonna lose it in a day. :daze:

We can do this together !!!

Support= Success

Traci
:wave:

wordlady Wed, May-21-03 05:12

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Intrestingly enough, I truly believe there is truth in each one. I believe some people DO need to get out there and exercise, and not use the "stall" thing as a fallback.

I believe some people are not patient in letting their bodies adjust to the weight loss and go all the way through the plateau phase.

And I believe that there are some out there who DO exercise, follow all the rules, and still plateau from something or another.

Lastly, I really do believe that some things impede our loss...such as bars, and too many nuts, for the majority of people; or at least women, and DEFINATELY for women with metabolic resistance.

It was my goal to get opinions on their .....ummm...."impediment power", but the discussion has been interesting too.

Thanks again for your replies, and I look forward to hearing more opinions on this.

whyspers Wed, May-21-03 06:55

The further I get into my weight loss, the more inclined I am to agree with TES.

L

ShadowTail Thu, May-22-03 12:52

Hope you don't mind a newbie replying on here.
I just wanted to thank you for posting such an informative post.
Through lots of trial and error, I also think that many people faslely think they are in a stall.
Although, I do believe in food intolerances.(yeasties) (mold)
I also never noticed a difference between weightloss with reg or decaf coffee.
I don't post alot, but I come here everyday to see what the long time carbers have to say. You people have been a ton of inspiration to me.

ShadowTails

lkonzelman Wed, May-28-03 13:35

Actually there is some truth in a stall too!

The two most common reasons is:

1) not truly 4 weeks of no weight or inches lost AND 2) had a cheat within the week

Those are the most common "not really a stall" posts....

klawrence Wed, May-28-03 14:04

stalls

Tes,
What a thoughtful post. I too believe strongly in the time-honored equation, calories in-calories out=weight loss. What's been working with me so far on Atkins has been the fact that the plan causes me to eat less. I'm not a scientist, but I understand that
1) a side-effect of ketosis is reduced hunger
2) fat and protein (and fiber) fill you up better (leave you more sated) than carbs, especially those that are highly refined
3) avoiding refined carbs reduces insulin spikes and valleys, which can stimulate hunger, and cravings.
Basically, I think of foods that cause stalls as foods that cause people to eat more. For me, bars made me crave sweets (and eat more bars.) I have no idea whether this was a physical or phychological reaction, but I guess it doesn't really matter. I know nuts are big stallers becasue some poeple have problems limiting portions with them. Just my two cents. :roll:
Great thread.