Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Starvation Mode - How long to enter? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=105800)

RCFletcher Tue, May-20-03 09:58

Hi 222*2,

Why not try 4 days on the very unpopular, very non p.c. Stillmans QWL plan. Only lean meat, non oily fish and eggs. It's low fat, very low carb. It's also ultra boring and probably dangerous if you keep it up for too long. The weight loss is almost automatic. If you look under plans comparason you can find details on it. It worked for me.

Robert

222*2 Tue, May-20-03 11:01

I will be willing to try anything, I have not tried Stillman’s Diet yet. Thank you for bringing that up, I do recall reading some things about it, but I will refresh my knowledge on it.
I am a little scared to do it, I just don’t want to gain any more weight, I am a little concerned with taking in that much protein, I do know that excess protein will convert to glucose (or the like ) and will be stored as fat, which is why I am so scared to do it.

I also tried a non low carb approach to break the stall, I read that for some people it did the trick. This was an Undiet Combination Approach where you eat fruits from 8-noon and nothing else, than from noon to 7p.m. all you eat are veggies and a little lean protein. All the items except meats must be raw and get digested quickly. You only do this for 2 days and it is suppose to reset your body from the low carb mode and shock it back into losing weight. Well, that did not do anything for me. Once again few pounds lost over those 2 days but they were not permanent.

Thank you everyone for posting, I will keep on checking the boards and see if there is anything else that might be helpful or if anyone has any thoughts or ideas to share, please post.

RCFletcher Tue, May-20-03 11:31

hello again 222*2,

I wouldn't be afraid to do Stillamsn fro just 4 days. I did and lost a pound a day - after a stall of about a year!

It is not as hgih protein as you'd think. You go into deep ketosis and there is a very heavy suppression of hunger. A typical day's menu for me was:

Breakfast: 2 oz very lean ham and three poached eggs.

Lunch: 2 oz tuna (canned in water) mixed up with another two poached eggs (I like poached eggs :) ).

Dinner: Stewed beef. dessert s/f jello

Despite trying not to eat any fat, fitday told me I was still getting half my calories from fat (there is lots of fat in eggs and all meat contains some - no matter how lean).

Good luck whatever you try.

Robert

rustpot Tue, May-20-03 12:10

222*2

Your frustration is obvious and we are trying to help but we are all clutching at straws as we only know what you have not been doing. At the moment we do not know what you eat, when you eat it, what your background is , how much did you weigh when you started, your gender (I am guessing female), your age (when you are old like me its awfully slow) your goals, your estimated lean body weight, your ideal weight (could you be at your set point), have your measurements changed (muscle weighs more than fat and if you have been working out you can lose size but gain weight). Could you be insulin resistant, are you diabetic, have you had your cholesterol checked, what is your Blood Pressure, are you now or have you been taking medication.

Perhaps you should do a couple of things.

First..... why not start a journal here and begin a log of what you are doing. so if you do start stillman its noted down. When you start changing all the variables it is difficult to determine what it may be that does the trick. Many people will then visit your journal and you can keep an ongoing dialogue over the coming months....it will take months you understand. There is no magic pill to lose 20 pounds

Second ... if you have not already done so open a Fitday account and record what you eat precisely every day.

Finally ask your self a question. Are you fit? are you healthy?, if you are then you can feel blessed. There are worse things in life than being 20lbs over weight. I am suggesting that if you just take a deep breath, relax and carry on doing all the right things that you are obviously doing, it will happen.

If you would like support on the way. there are loads of friendly faces on this board.

Sydney1030 Wed, May-28-03 15:14

Because of my two young kids, I haven't read all the replies to your original post. However, I did read that you are doing quite a bit of exercise, 5 days a week, weights and aerobics. Have you tried cutting down on your exercise, weights only 2X weekly and aerobics 3X a week or combo training 3X a week only? Believe it or not, over training combined with severe food restriction like you are describing can make your body fight even more to keep on those last few pounds. Your body says: "I'm starving plus I have to do all this physical labor!!! I need extra fat stores for the next time there's no food around so I can survive!!" I really believe you should cut down on your exercising, and loosen up on your diet-up it to about 1800 calories or so and about 40-50 carbs daily. You may gain weight at first as your body adjusts, but at this point I think you've got your metabolism so messed up from all this extreme dieting and exercise that you'll never lose those last pounds. Your body needs to know that good food is available all the time, and there won't be another "famine" around the corner before it will give up and let those last pounds go.