Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Anyone Ever Reached Goal by LCing???? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=103339)

tgill32177 Tue, May-06-03 10:12

How long did it take you to get FAT?

Ok, so you don't see people making
their goal weight here. Like many
have said they have moved on to
bigger and better things- I will do
the same.

But here is another thought...How long
did it take each of us to gain the weight?
For me, it was 15 years. The pounds have
increased each and every one of those years.
I was gaining an average of 8 lbs a year
for those 15 years. I can honestly say that
I would NOT be satisfied to only lose 8lbs
a year. In fact, I see many here that wouldn't
be either. We live in a society that likes
instant gratification and does not practice
patience. I am VERY guilty of this. I want
all those pounds to melt away FAST so I
can be like the "old" me. In order for me
to lose 8 lbs a year I would need to lose
.66 lbs a month. And I am more than achieving
that- so I am satisfied. As long as I am losing
and not gaining I am happy.
Also, I FEEL better on this WOL than before.
I have more energy, I have more stamina,
I have more libido- who wouldn't want
to maintain those things.
Before I just sat on the couch at the
end of the day and watched TV. Now
I am spending more time with family
and moving around that I hardly turn
the TV on. This is much better for our
family- I can assure you.
Take the advice and read the books
again. Don't let a few negative remarks
hinder you from achieving your goal.

Be Blessed!
Tanya

Jannie Tue, May-06-03 12:15

goal weight

Hey, all the answers so far have been good, but I just have to add that I'm only one pound from goal!!! I've started reading Dr. Atkins' Atkins for Life book, and do plan to hang around at least for a while b/c the info and support here are extraordinary!

I've been trying to do the pre-maintenance phase, but got somewhat sidetracked by vacation plus a nasty case of diarrhea... Oh, well-it will happen soon enough, and I may go ahead down to 155, just to have a cushion.

Successful maintainers are out there, I'm sure. All the Best to you-you'll make it if you persist-

:thup: :thup: :thup:

orzabelle Tue, May-06-03 12:29

Oh Jaxx - just so you know, my stats don't reflect my reality!

I started low-carb 8 years ago, at about 170 lbs. I did the Zone, and I swear to you, in about 7 months, I was at 135. My goal now is just my new goal. I think I'd look better at a lower weight (small boned) and am doing Atkins to kick into higher gear and pay closer attention. So, it DOES work, I have never gained back any of it - never went over 135, and I come from a family that is genetically prone to obesity. I wasn't exercising when I lost that weight, but started to exercise about 6 years ago, at least 3x a week. I'm sure that has some part to do with why I didn't gain it back, but the relatively low-carb life I've lived since then is, IMO, more responsible. :p ;)

2Airedales Tue, May-06-03 13:05

My doctor LIKES Atkins

I'm not at my goal, not anywhere near it yet, BUT I had my phisical last week. After hearing from different people how this diet was bad for you cholesterol & kidneys & blah blah blah.

So I told my doctor I was doing Atkins and waited to be blasted... Instead He said he liked the Atkins progrma and that the latest reasearch showed that there was no harmfull effect to LCing as long as you eat your veggies and take your viatmins.

I'm happy on this program, oops I just say lifestyle!

Getting lots of compliments and everyone thinks I've lost more weight than the scale shows. :daizy:

Pascale

Jaxx Wed, May-07-03 04:15

WOW - Your support makes me want to cry!

What can I say - I had to wait until I had ALOT of time to read all of your supportive responses - Thank You.

One thing I left out (on purpose) was the person that 'slated' LCing is a vegetarian - The reason i chose not to mention that 'little' point was that they really rocked me..... I kinda thought if I'd mention their food choices it would make a difference to the responses I received.

A little part of me thought you might all tell me to bugger off to be honest - I guess I just needed some reasurance that I was/AM doing the right thing

I FEEL SOOOOO MUCH BETTER!!!!!! - THANK YOU!

RIGHT - LETS GET INTO LOSING THIS FLAB!!!
lol :D :roll: :D :D :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :hyper:

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :bhug:

Paleoanth Wed, May-07-03 05:50

Well, I am a vegetarian too. There are a couple of us around these forums. I am a pretty strict one-I eat dairy, but NO meat (and I include fish as meat). There is no reason a vegetarian cannot make Atkins successful considering all the nonmeat alternatives out there. Actually, my veggie consumption has gone up since I started back in September.

I do have to make sure I get enough protein and enough fat-those are my two challenges, but you get used to this really quick. I wasn't getting enough protein before, so this has been a healthier choice for me. Sometimes I get frustrated when I hear that people won't even try low carbing because they don't like meat. It just shows me that there is still so much misinformation out there. Even eating out has gotten easier. Plenty of places have grilled veggies or mushroom dishes that are wonderful.

gary Wed, May-07-03 07:43

Put on the Brakes!

I reached my goal in 3.5 months of induction. Dropped about 184gm of carb out of my diet and replaced with nothing. Lost 18 lbs in the first month, 39lbs overall to this date. Was so exciting. Sometimes I lost 2lb in one day. I used cheese to put on the brakes. I wish that everyone could have this success. It is a bummer for it to work for me so well and others it is more difficult. For me it is like a spigot I can turn on and off - controlled by my carb intake. I get on the scale almost everyday and use it as a guide to keep me on track. Have been enjoying a balanced low carb diet on maintenance - have been sliding down toward OWL and a new goal of 148 from 155. Went from 38 waist to 33.

Took me from about 1978, 134lbs to 2001 195 lbs - gained 61 lbs in 23 years. Lost 36 lbs in 3.5 months with Atkins. Thats a lot of beers that flew off me!

Please, everybody have success! :wave:

cc48510 Wed, May-07-03 08:46

Re: How long did it take you to get FAT?

Quote:
Originally posted by tgill32177
But here is another thought...How long
did it take each of us to gain the weight?

Here are my Estimates Height & Weight-wise

1992 -- 90 lbs. ~ 4'11" (BMI: 18.22)
1993 -- 110 lbs. ~ 5'0" (BMI: 21.53)
1994 -- 130 lbs. ~ 5'2" (BMI: 23.83)
1995 -- 155 lbs. ~ 5'5" (BMI: 25.85)
1996 -- 190 lbs. ~ 5'8" (BMI: 28.95)
1997 -- 168 lbs. ~ 5'10" (BMI: 24.16)
1998 -- 200 lbs. ~ 5'11" (BMI: 27.95)
1999 -- 220 lbs. ~ 5'11" (BMI: 30.75)
2000 -- 250 lbs. ~ 5'11" (BMI: 34.94)
2001 -- 300 lbs. ~ 5'11" (BMI: 41.93)
2002 -- 320 lbs. ~ 5'11" (BMI: 44.72)

12/2002 -- 315 lbs.
01/2003 -- 300 lbs. (2001 Weight)
02/2003 -- 290 lbs.
03/2003 -- 270 lbs.
04/2003 -- 250 lbs. (2000 Weight)

NOTE: I don't have any official weights before 1995...or heights before 1996, so anything before then is based on what I think I weighed. I had estimated previously that I was 5'8" in 1996/1997. But, I had always thought that I had made 25 BMI on that diet. I then thought about it some more and realized that my lisence did not have my correct height (It was issued in 1997). I seem to remember, I was 5'10" and she put 5'8" on the lisence. So, that means I did actually break 25 BMI (for a short time) on that Low-Calorie/LF Diet.

Overall: 230 lbs. in 10 years
Since 1997: 152 lbs. in 5 years (Went off LF/Low-Cal Diet)
Since 1999: 100 lbs. in 3 years (Went off to College)

WeeOne Wed, May-07-03 10:52

Statistacally most people only stay on diets, or like we like to say, a different WOE for 5 weeks. It's the hard-core people that have heard the "CLICK" and seriously want to lose the weight that will reach their goals.
That could be why so many people mock this WOE, or that WOE, because they don't have the will power themselves to keep up with it, so therfore, to them it is unhealthy.

Just IMHO.

Wee