Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Gym Logs (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Liftnlady's new journal (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=193883)

TXAimee Mon, Aug-02-04 15:24

HMMMMMMM, magical hamstring stretch????? Please tell us more................

Built Mon, Aug-02-04 15:27

Okay. It's a little weird, but it works like a hot damn:

Sit on the incline bench BACKWARD, with one foot on the floor and one leg UP the ramp.

Lean/pull gently toward your leg.

Switch legs.

Unlike every other hamstring stretch I've ever tried, this one actually hits the belly of the hamstring muscle, not just the insertions. I discovered it by accident last year when my hammies were knackered.

red1cutie Mon, Aug-02-04 17:30

Hi Lift! Hope you had fun at the triath! I hope the pain goes away soon. I know how you feel. Hey, the good thing is you definitely know you worked it.

I really meant to take all my measurements this weekend but when I say my belly measurement went up I decided to wait a week. I will take them am tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Hey Built, Aimee, Dogbone! :wave:

I am going to try that hamstring stretch too.

Just wondering: How long do you guys stretch for after your workout? How important is stretching.

Quote:
DUDE!!! I wanna chick to workout with!!!! Yours, & built's, & dogbones, & red's workouts rule. Wish we all lived in the same city to workout together and help each other out!
You know I was kinda thinking about this too. Imagine all of us in the same gym at the same time. That would be soo cool. I workout alone too.

Type to y'all later.

red

TXAimee Tue, Aug-03-04 14:36

I tried Built's magical stretch. I must say if felt good & I got some strange looks. But I don't care. My hammies are nice & stretched.

liftnlady Tue, Aug-03-04 14:41

you know I have not tried it...I may have to as my hammies right now are in a perpetual state of pain.

Built Tue, Aug-03-04 14:46

Do the stretches, GENTLY. You'll see - they'll just RELEASE over the days and weeks that follow.

Stretching is important after lifting because you stretch out the fascia and give the muscle room to grow.

I used to stretch before, but I have come to understand that this can actually cause damage because the muscle isn't warm. I always stretch AFTER now.

red1cutie Tue, Aug-03-04 19:48

Aww Lift! I know how you feel. And I know the walk too. It's also really hard to sleep when you're in pain all over. Would extra glutamine help? SOmeone told me that.

Quote:
I used to stretch before, but I have come to understand that this can actually cause damage because the muscle isn't warm. I always stretch AFTER now.
Thanks Built! I used to only stretch after too or between sets. I tried that stretch it felt good. I don't stretch much these days. I just stretch after my cardio workouts. I gotta start stretching after my weights.

red

liftnlady Tue, Aug-03-04 19:54

no I don't think glutamine would help right now. It is just the workouts...there are alot of sets and very heavy weights..I think I have a few more weeks of this, and I am told volume is increasing one more time...then it will drop off and I can recover a bit. It is all good though cause I am growing and that is what I wanted. thanks for the support.

red1cutie Tue, Aug-03-04 19:57

Thanks Lift!

Hey, I find that I cannot look at my body objectively. How can you tell you are growing? Is it just from the way your clothes fit or do you check your body fat to find your lean mass?

red

liftnlady Tue, Aug-03-04 20:06

I take pictures every few weeks. I have one that is posted here taken in May, and then I took one last week and I have put on 3-4 lbs, but I have definitely increased in size. I will email them to you tomorrow and you can see what I am talking about. Do you have someone who can take pics for you. Also, you can take measurements, for instance if measurements go down but weight stays the same or goes up, it usually indicates you are gaining muscle and losing fat. Truthfully it is a very hard process, the average natty builder can only put on 5-7lbs a year, and some gets lost when dieting down. It is very hard to put on muscle in a caloric deficit and some weight must be gained to increase size. Now if hardening muscles and bringing out definition of what you already have is a goal then that can be done in a caloric deficit like what you are doing right now. So for me I am not worried right now about gaining weight, because I know when I start cutting I will have new muscle underneath...this is not something most women are comfortable with.

red1cutie Tue, Aug-03-04 20:58

Okay Lift Thanks. I will ask my friend to take some pictures of me. How long did you do the cutting until you moved to the building phase?

red

liftnlady Tue, Aug-03-04 21:16

well I started cutting and then 6 weeks into it realized that I was not going to lose any weight because of my fibroids and the high dosages of hormones I am taking to keep them under control...so a few weeks ago I switched to bulking and I will stay on this probablly through January. I plan to have surgery in October, and take that whole month off and I do not want to cut over the holidays, so I will build until then and cut fro spring next year. Usually cutting and bulking cycles run 12-16 weeks.

red1cutie Tue, Aug-03-04 21:20

Okay! I remembered when you started the bulking but did not know how long you were doing the cutting. TY.

red

liftnlady Wed, Aug-04-04 12:00

8/4

Ok here is the plan for today.

Diet-1950 cals 175 prot, 200 carbs, 50 fat

cardio-none

Training-volume has increased :spin: :daze:

A1 Incline Bench Press 301 tempo 60s rest

65 x 3 reps x 2 sets
70 x 3 reps x 8 sets...woo hoo last week I could barely get 1 set done
superset with

A2 Barbell Rows 211 tempo 60s rest
90 x 3 reps x 10 sets

B1 Standing DB Press 301 tempo 30s rest

12.5 x 10 x 4
superset with

B2 Lat Pull Downs 301 tempo 45s rest

90 x 10 x 4

C Lying Tri Ext 301 tempo 60s rest

triple drop sets 6/6/6
30/24.5/20 x 3 sets

liftnlady Wed, Aug-04-04 20:37

that was tough one...but bench went up 5lbs ...last week I coudl barely do 1 set at 70 and this week no problem for 8 sets !!!! Triceps are fried by the end of this workout.