Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   LC Research/Media (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Dental Diet , book by Dr. Steven Lin (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=480733)

Meme#1 Thu, Oct-10-19 22:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
dr davis, interview with ivor c.

Maybe Bread and milk both/together?
Didn't the commercials on TV both hit about the same time. Large scale campaigns to convince us we need both!
Then came boxed cereal. The TV was telling you that if you didn't have milk, bread and cereal in your kitchen, you were going to be unhealthy without it! Everything "fortified" if you think about it.

Ms Arielle Thu, Oct-10-19 23:00

I only wish I had figured this out BEFORE having kids, sigh. All this crappy food is creating unnecessary cavities and crooked teeth. Think of all the money families could save avoiding braces.

I think of when I shared this book with my nephew in law who is a kind, thoughtful person. He didnt read the book. He did open it and leave it opened, and unread. Sigh. He is a young dentist that could change the smiles of so many.

Meme#1 Thu, Oct-10-19 23:21

Can I tell you how many 20-30 year olds won't eat or cook any chicken with bones or skin? God, when I was early 20s, I was cutting up whole chicken by myself with no direction.

Ms Arielle Fri, Oct-11-19 06:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Can I tell you how many 20-30 year olds won't eat or cook any chicken with bones or skin? God, when I was early 20s, I was cutting up whole chicken by myself with no direction.

I have met one of those!! geez, I thought she was an anomoly. :o

Made chicken soup two days ago fora sick child, and family expects bones in the soup. I dont bother removing them. :lol:

NewRuth Fri, Oct-11-19 10:39

Quote:
MI Paste Plus

Thank you!

Ms Arielle Fri, Oct-11-19 12:37

Welcome!!!

sorry im late with the info.

Instructions from hygenist, dab small amount on target area of a tooth.

Meme#1 Fri, Oct-11-19 12:48

Bones in the soup add so much good nutrition with the marrow and the collagen from the joints and ligaments! I tried to tell someone that recently but they were stuck on boneless skinless breasts.

Verbena Fri, Oct-11-19 13:38

Quote:
Bones in the soup add so much good nutrition with the marrow and the collagen from the joints and ligaments! I tried to tell someone that recently but they were stuck on boneless skinless breasts.

I sometimes wonder if the avoidance of bony cuts of meat might in some way be related to never having learned how to properly manage a knife and fork. A generation raised on chicken nuggets & tater tots might not have acquired the motor skills necessary to be comfortable with the knife/fork, right hand/left hand co-ordination

Meme#1 Fri, Oct-11-19 13:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
I sometimes wonder if the avoidance of bony cuts of meat might in some way be related to never having learned how to properly manage a knife and fork. A generation raised on chicken nuggets & tater tots might not have acquired the motor skills necessary to be comfortable with the knife/fork, right hand/left hand co-ordination

I think you might be on to something and I too have wondered the same thing myself. My 11 year old grandson loves steak and one day when I had him over I realized he had not been taught how to use a knife and fork so I showed him how to hold the fork to keep the steak held secure then move the knife back and forth to cut the meat. Before that he was moving the knife and fork at the same time with nothing being cut. How many kids are like this these days?

Ms Arielle Fri, Oct-11-19 15:35

Quote:

Fortuneately I learned to cook a bit from my mom, who had gecome an adventurous cook and left chef boy r dee behind. We became her gibea pigs testing new recipes.

The chicken breast was a good first step.

I used to think buying 100% meat, no bone, was tge best use of my grocery money. Then I learned the power of bone broth. And learned how to use everything but the squeal.

I save the chicken feet, but usually cave and toss to dogs. Those are the last to clean, and honestly, we are too tired by that point to properly clean. Just bag and toss in freezer. They do make GREAT collagen soup.

Any one without cooking skills needs a guiding hand. Cook books are a foreign language...... new cooks need interpretors.

Ms Arielle Fri, Oct-11-19 15:41

[QUOTE=Meme#1. Before that he was moving the knife and fork at the same time with nothing being cut. How many kids are like this these days?[/QUOTE]

:lol: Too many.

The benefit of big family holiday dinners is where my kids learned most of their skills. And when my brother would take us out to dinner.

There is so much to teach children.......to be come the best they can be.

Meme#1 Sun, Oct-13-19 09:50

There is another thing at play, many families aren't eating together nightly at a dinner table. Kids take their plate of food to another place and eat alone either watching TV or playing video games.
That's one thing I did do was to require them all to sit together at the table nightly and that really does a lot of good in so many ways.

Ms Arielle Sun, Oct-13-19 10:24

My teens are every which direction, and DH is home moments at a time.... there is no family time at a table but we still eat good quality food, and my kids are learning to cook. To shop for food, to garden.....etc.

I tried setting a meal time....didnt work.

Meme#1 Sun, Oct-13-19 11:08

It promotes conversation and human interaction especially these days with the phones and games. They talk a lot more freely during that time and you learn what went on with their day...the little things you wouldn't hear otherwise.
It works better than asking, how was your day...pat answer=FINE

Ms Arielle Sun, Oct-13-19 13:02

lol. The benefit of driving them around,too, is lots falls out of their mouths.

That,s how I learned of my youngest getting slapoed by a much older student on the bus. And this was the second time.

Ms Arielle Tue, Feb-04-20 09:16

Good reasons to drink Green tea.
Quote:
Green Tea Can Kill Bacteria, Which Improves Dental Health and Lowers Your Risk of Infection
The catechins in green tea also have other biological effects.

Some studies show that they can kill bacteria and inhibit viruses like the influenza virus, potentially lowering your risk of infections (30Trusted Source, 31, 32Trusted Source, 33Trusted Source).

Streptococcus mutans is the primary harmful bacteria in the mouth. It causes plaque formation and is a leading contributor to cavities and tooth decay.

Studies show that the catechins in green tea can inhibit the growth of Streptococcus mutans. Green tea consumption is associated with improved dental health and a lower risk of caries (34Trusted Source, 35Trusted Source, 36Trusted Source, 37Trusted Source).

Multiple studies also show that green tea can reduce bad breath (38Trusted Source, 39)

This is quoted from Healthline. Not the best source but a start.

WereBear Tue, Feb-04-20 11:47

Fascinating. I have become a green tea fan lately, because Dr. Fung says it's a good thing.

mike_d Mon, Feb-17-20 17:43

Dental went well today. Very little cleaning this time. Even got $50 off on the procedure. It was the best yet, well maybe since I was 20.

Ms Arielle Mon, Feb-17-20 22:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Fascinating. I have become a green tea fan lately, because Dr. Fung says it's a good thing.

What does Fung say about green tea???????

Ms Arielle Mon, Feb-17-20 22:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Dental went well today. Very little cleaning this time. Even got $50 off on the procedure. It was the best yet, well maybe since I was 20.

That is great news, Mike. You must be thrilled!!' Never heard of getting a prize for a healthy mouth. That is a first!

WereBear Tue, Feb-18-20 08:00

Quote:
What does Fung say about green tea???????

Quote:
Green tea. There's a compound in this much-studied tea that “suppresses the appetite and boosts the metabolism a bit,” says Fung. Some research suggests that the drink can help ward off cancer, too.

Beneficial Effects of Green Tea

AND it is a source of L-theanine, a stress reducing nutrient. I combo that with GABA for something like tranquilizers: only much better than Xanax!

Quote:
L-theanine, on the other hand, promotes relaxation and stress reduction without sedating. ... L-theanine has positive effects on both the mental and physical symptoms of stress, including lowering heart rate and blood pressure.

What You Need to Know About L-theanine

This is why my fasting routine is salt, green tea, and coconut oil :lol: I love the St Dalfour brand which has flavors like mint, raspberry, and orange. It doesn't have the "stewed cigar" taste green tea used to have. I get it from iHerb.com

Ms Arielle Sun, May-03-20 18:32

lol, stewed cigar !! Now I will think of THAT when sipping a plain cup of green tea. lol

--------

Been thinking about last visit to dentist. Same hygenist, new doctor.

New doc suggested that I brush too hard, and reminded me to use a soft brush. Really bugged me 'cause my gums have improved sooooooo much with my own efforts. sheeeesh.

I rarely floss as Im concerned it gouges the flesh at the gum line. If meat or veg fiber ie asparagus gets caught, then,ya, a little flossing is required.

Been thinking of taking a picture of my teeth, at least the fronts, to have a record of the gums.....

WereBear Mon, May-04-20 04:57

Don't know when I'll get to the dentist for a cleaning. That's unless they figure out a way to do it six feet apart :)

Ms Arielle Mon, May-04-20 06:22

Im hoping the goverment figures out and acknowledges the impact of diet..... and STOPS pushing the hugh carb diet as 80-90% of Americans have a compromised metabolism.

Ms Arielle Fri, May-15-20 21:38

Dr Terry Wahls interviews Dr Stephen Lin

https://youtu.be/MKxDw4ItvAg

Ms Arielle Fri, May-15-20 21:49

Gut Health Starts in the Mouth
one hr interview!
https://youtu.be/cdOOwex4c0A

Ms Arielle Fri, May-15-20 21:52

Breathe Institute interviews dr Lin
https://youtu.be/X_S2gPyxhUs

Ms Arielle Thu, Jul-30-20 18:31

More support for keto for dental health.

https://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/The...l_should_follow

Toward the end of the article is a graph. Lists the effects on the teeth due to change in diet to keto.

less_tara Fri, Jul-31-20 01:20

I can safely say that a worrying gum problem I had has been managed since starting low carb. My gums were becoming "floppy" I guess in a certain spot..... the spot where you chew the most. Food would go straight under the gums... horrible to clean, bloody and quite painful. I noticed some improvement in the first week, and then went a few days on soft foods (mostly poached eggs) to take a break from hard chewing, and the problem has cleared up. This is miraculous, because I have been fighting gum problems in that spot for years.

Ms Arielle Mon, Dec-28-20 00:14

How are your gums now?