Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Audacious August Blitz (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=53576)

BeccaResRN Sat, Aug-24-02 13:33

CONGRATS EVERYONE WHO IS LOSING!!!!!!

Well I congratulated afew people that I read that had lost weight a few posts back....but right now I want to congratulate :cheer: everyone who has really worked hard in August, all those who lost weight and all those who are truly trying their best but no weight is coming off right now!

Congrats Rosebud Your August weight lost is great I'm so happy for you, I know how great it is to look at the scale and see the numbers going down and you just want to jump for joy!!!!

For my own weight loss I have just past the 1 month mark and I allowed myself my 1st deviation from goodness...we went to mexican restaraunt and I had guacamole with 3 tortilla chips and fajitas with no tortilla with guacamole and sour cream, meat, onions, green peppers and tomatoes. It was good a little more carbs than I should have but better than the triple cheeseburger with the bun that I was craving!

I was 176.0 before the mexican fiesta this morning 176.5 not to bad I guess I am going to walk today and drink a bunch of water...Hey guess what the other day I walked 4 miles I was so proud of myself...I set a goal to walk more and get into shape and I am moving towards that goal.

We still have a few days left in August and I am going to really work them I would like to be at 175 before august ends.

Well keep blitzing everyone only afew days left!!!!!!! :roll:

Wendye Sat, Aug-24-02 19:50

Hi folks,

Rebecca - well done on controlling the carb beast to a certain extent - shows you are in for the long hall with this WOE - very sensible to give the cheese burger (with bun) a miss.

Rosie - sorry not to have congratulated you here but I'm sure I have elsewhere - I admit to being a bit self absorbed with by knee surgery etc and just ducking in here and there. I am proud of you cos it's not easy to drop pounds when you are
1. on meds
2. in pain and
3. unable to do much exercise.
I know and sorry not to have made comment here - this is the blitzing thread. This month for different reasons I haven't been as supportive as I could be. I guess we all got caught up in the joviality of posting hunks and drooling.

Anyway a big congrats to everyone who has managed to rid themselves of any sort of poundage and kept blitzing. :thup:

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

heyjude607 Sun, Aug-25-02 13:52

I haven't lost anything...

1 Attachment(s)
...so far this month...But, CONGRATS to those of you who have! :yay:

I have held on to my previous losses though, and I'm very pleased with that...my clothes fit good and I'm buying smaller sizes! I'm getting myself psyched up to go back to induction after labor day. I'm really looking forward to gangbuster LCing in September.

It's a wonderful day...we're having a thunderstorm (my favorite thing and my favorite sounds) plus we are really in need of rain here. (even though it may mean that my internet will be down the rest of the day...the phone service almost always goes out when there is a storm!)

I'm posting this as a refesher for myself and wanted to share it with any of you up are up for a return to induction in September:

What Induction Can Do For You:

Induction kick-starts your body into lipolysis/ketosis, switching your metabolism to one that primarily burns fat for energy.

The name Induction signifies that its purpose is to induce weight loss by changing your body's chemistry so that you will achieve lipolysis and the secondary process of ketosis. Induction is designed to do all of the following for you:

Efficiently switch your body from a carbohydrate-burning metabolism to a primarily fat-burning (your fat!) metabolism.

Stabilize your blood sugar and abruptly halt a myriad of symptoms indicative of unstable blood sugar, such as fatigue, mood swings, brain fog and an inability to function at your best.

Curb your cravings by stabilizing your blood sugar.
Break addictions to foods such as sugar, wheat or corn derivatives, alcohol, caffeine, grain or any other food. For people addicted to sugary, high-carb or high-glycemic foods—just as for alcoholics—moderation simply does not work.

Let you experience firsthand the metabolic advantage.
Demonstrate how much body fat you can burn, while eating liberally, even luxuriously, off the fat of the land.

The Induction phase is not going to be your lifelong way of eating. It will last a minimum of 14 days, after which you should see significant results. (See The Rules of Induction for specifics of how to do this important phase.) Later you will learn a series of steps that will enable you to craft your own personalized eating plan. This plan will be geared to create the best possible balance between your metabolic responses, your tastes and lifestyle and your total health profile.

Memorize the following rules:

Eat either three regular-size meals a day or four or five smaller meals. Do not skip meals or go more than six waking hours without eating.

Eat liberally of combinations of fat and protein in the form of poultry, fish, shellfish, eggs and red meat, as well as pure, natural fat in the form of butter, mayonnaise, olive oil, safflower, sunflower and other vegetable oils (preferably expeller-pressed or cold-pressed).

Eat no more than 20 grams a day of carbohydrate, most of which must come in the form of salad greens and other vegetables. You can eat approximately three loosely packed cups of salad, or two cups of salad plus one cup of other vegetables (see Acceptable Foods).

Eat absolutely no fruit, bread, pasta, grains, starchy vegetables or dairy products other than cheese, cream or butter. Do not eat nuts or seeds in the first two weeks. Foods that combine protein and carbohydrates, such as chickpeas, kidney beans and other legumes, are not permitted at this time.

Eat nothing that isn't on the Acceptable Foods list. And that means absolutely nothing. Your "just this one taste won't hurt" rationalization is the kiss of failure during this phase of Atkins.

Adjust the quantity you eat to suit your appetite, especially as it decreases. When you're hungry, eat the amount that makes you feel satisfied, but not stuffed. When you're not hungry, eat a small controlled carbohydrate snack to accompany your nutritional supplements.

Don't assume any food is low in carbohydrate—instead, read labels. Check the carb count (it's on every package) or use a carbohydrate gram counter.

Eat out as often as you wish but be on guard for hidden carbs in gravies, sauces and dressings. Gravy is often made with flour or cornstarch, and sugar is sometimes an ingredient in salad dressing.

Avoid foods or drinks sweetened with aspartame. Instead, use sucralose or saccharin. Be sure to count each packet of any of these as 1 gram of carbs.

Avoid coffee, tea and soft drinks that contain caffeine. Excessive caffeine has been shown to cause low blood sugar, which can make you crave sugar.

Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water each day to hydrate your body, avoid constipation and flush out the by-products of burning fat.

If you are constipated, mix a tablespoon or more of psyllium husks in a cup or more of water and drink daily. Or mix ground flaxseed into a shake or sprinkle wheat bran on a salad or vegetables. (or use capsules)

Extra Cautions:

Stay away from diet products unless they specifically state "no carbohydrates." Most such foods are for low-fat diets, not controlled carbohydrate plans.
The words sugarless, sugar-free or "no sugar added" are not sufficient. The label must state the carbohydrate content; that's what you must go by.
Many products you do not normally think of as foods, such as chewing gum, breath mints, cough syrups and cough drops, are filled with sugar or other caloric sweeteners. They must be avoided.
Be wary of prepared salads at salad bars or deli counters. For example, cole slaw or even tuna-fish salad may have been prepared with sugar.

BUNCHES OF GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU! HAPPY BLITZING!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The riches of a full life are so easily mine, and so deservedly mine."